Fill in your email address in the field below.
• 450g rhubarb
• 2 blood oranges, peeled and cut into rounds
• 4 blood oranges, juice only
• 125g caster sugar
• 2 star anise
• 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
• 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways, seeds scraped out
For the topping
• 50g unsalted butter
• 100g plain flour
• 50g Demerara sugar
• pinch ground cinnamon
• 50g flaked almonds
1. Cut the rhubarb into 5cm pieces and lay them in a 23cm ovenproof dish. Top with the orange pieces.
2. Place the orange juice in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the sugar, anise, cinnamon and vanilla seeds. Continue to heat until it becomes syrupy. Strain, and then pour over the rhubarb.
3. For the topping, place the butter, flour, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and use your hands to rub them together until it looks like breadcrumbs.
4. Add the almonds and spoon the crumble on top of the fruit and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden-brown.
5. Serve with clotted cream or custard.